RESEARCH OF AIRFIELDS

Research was completed by cadets from the squadron for the 2018 project.

The details that follow are with grateful thanks to : Steve Roberts- Heritage Centre 

The Heritage Centre, in a former church next to the West Norfolk base’s main gate, was officially opened on Friday 27 April 2013. Its curator, Warrant Officer Steve Roberts, said: “We started this about four years ago, trying to bring life to an old project that was the station history room. “We saw it as our responsibility to bring this to life as one of the last main operating bases in East Anglia for the Royal Air Force. “We have a massive responsibility to keep this alive for the future. It’s only by keeping our heritage alive that we can shape the future.” WO Roberts said the centre, which would have a garden of remembrance alongside it, would provide a fitting tribute to all ex and serving members of the RAF who had been  also contain an interactive learning facility, which has been created by archiving more than 15,000 photographs and documents.  

The  centre is open to the public on the last Saturday of each month. and Admission is free.

The cadets airfields project has gained information and knowledge, from many sites and from books written about Norfolk , over the months 

Links to the sites that have been of great help can be found on page Memorials & More

www.ukairfields.org.uk

www.abct.org.uk;

www.geograph.org.uk;

A QR Code has been  added to some the information boards, with a link  to www.heritage.norfolk.gov.uk. New boards and new locations will be added as they are designated 

UK Airfields logo link will direct you to their website 

Books that have been used in the research include:

Norfolk Airfields in the Second World War by Graham Smith

Norofl Military Airfields by Peter  Walker

Military Airfields of Britain - East Anglia by Ken Delve

Action Stations by Michael J F Bower

BACTON

RAF Bacton is a former Royal Air Force landing field, built to accommodate aircraft intercepting Zeppelin bombers during the First World War.  The only unit to use Bacton was a detachment of No. 219 Squadron RAF between 22 July 1918 and March 1919 with various aircraft  A hangar from RAF Bacton was relocated to North Walsham after the closure of the airfield, where it became a garage workshop. This building was damaged in high winds, but an attempt to save the roof failed to salvage the structure, which was demolished in April 2007.

BARTON BENDISH

​RAF Barton Bendish - also known as Eastmoor Landing Ground because it was located in the hamlet known as Eastmoor in the south of the parish and once a large outlying settlement with two mansions and a non-parochial chapel - was a Category A airfield and opened on 2 September 1939 as a satellite station for nearby RAF Marham, since at the outbreak of WW2 it was considered important for all bomber stations to have at least one satellite airfield. The landing ground had the code X1BB, covered an area of about 340 acres and was situated on a gentle slope which at its lowest level, in the south, lies 10 metres and at its highest, northern boundary, 25 metres above mean sea level (AMSL). Its runways are reported to have been unpaved. There would however not seem to have been any fixed runways, but rather a large grassed-over area, with the grass always kept very short and thus allowing pilots to take off and land in virtually any wind direction. Wartime aerodromes with concrete runways always had several, frequently intersecting in an A-shape, and the one most closely aligned with the prevailing wind direction was designated the main runway. Although modern aircraft are much better equipped to cope with cross-wind landings it is still advantageous to take-off and land into the wind.

BIRCHAM NEWTON

RAF Bircham Newton is a former Royal Air Force station located 2.1 miles (3.4 km) south east of Docking,  Norfolk and 13.4 miles (21.6 km) north east of King's Lynn, Norfolk, England.The site was first used during the First World War and received the largest British bomber of the time, the Handley Page V/1500. They would have carried out bombing missions against Berlin but the Armistice was arranged before any missions were actually flown.The airfield was equipped with one aircraft repair shed and three double bay general service sheds, although these had been demolished by 1937. It had two Belfast hangars, three C Type hangars, three Bellman hangars and ten Blister hangars. It operated through the Second World War as part of No. 16 Group RAF as part of Coastal Command.

BODNEY

Bodney was a grass-covered airfield without the usual concrete runways and opened in early 1940 as a 2 Group satellite station for nearby Watton. Several Watton-based squadrons were dispersed here and included Nos 21, 82 and 105 Squadrons with Blenheim IV medium bombers, 61 Squadron with Handley Page Hampden  bombers and 90 Squadron with the new Boeing B-17 Fortress Mk.1 heavy bomber.

BYLAUGH HALL

During WW2 Bylaugh Hall was used by the RAF (see below) and after its de-requisitioning in 1948 it was sold to a new owner who unsuccessfully planned to turn it into a nursing home. Sidney Abbs, a builder believed to have been associated with RG Carter & Sons, a national construction company based in Norwich, purchased it. Presumably in an attempt to avoid having to pay property tax, in June 1950 a 350-lot demolition sale was held and all the interior fittings, the fireplaces as well as the lead from the roofs were removed and sold off, leaving the building an empty shell. As most of the RAF buildings were located out of sight they were left standing, with some being converted to agricultural use and still in place today

COLTISHALL.

RAF Coltishall was built to 1930s permanent airfield standards and originally designed as a bomber station with five C-type hangars, adjoined by a grass flying field. In May 1940, however, it was redesignated a fighter station and became operational as part of Fighter Command’s No. 12 Group. During its time as a day fighter and later a night fighter station, Coltishall was associated with some of the RAF’s best-known wartime fighter aircraft such as the Spitfire, Hurricane, Beaufighter, Mosquito and Typhoon, and amongst the many men serving at the station there were some of the RAF’s most famous fighter pilots such as Max Aitken, Douglas Bader, Group Captain Jake Cunningham, Johnnie Johnson, Wing Commander John Braham, Adolph Mallan and Bob Stanford-Tuck.Operations included attacks against enemy shipping, and the Fleet Air Arm flew Swordfish and Albacore aircraft from here. Lysander and Walrus aircraft were used for Search and Rescue operations, a role which lasted until 1994, when the search and rescue activity was moved to RAF Wattisham in Suffolk. Between 1940 and 1945 the station had been home to more than 80 fighter squadrons, including Polish and Czech units, destroying 207 enemy aircraft. Because of the heavy usage of the field during the war the grass landing strip had to be strengthened with a woven wire chain-link mesh with metal rods threaded through it (known as Sommerfeld matting). 
Following the outbreak of WW2 new buildings had to be constructed, and all buildings received a coat of camouflage paint. Pillboxes were placed strategically around the airfield. Three rare Pickett-Hamilton forts -  dating from this time have survived on the flying field.

DEOPHAM GREEN

RAF Deopham Green is a former World War II aerodrome, built in 1942/43 and located near the hamlet of Deopham Green. Opened in 1944, the airfield was used by the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) Eighth Air Force 452nd Bombardment Group (Heavy). After the war the field was handed back to RAF Maintenance Command and public roads that had been closed during construction were re-opened. The airfield was closed in 1948 with most of the buildings torn down and the land returned to agricultural use. Many of the runways and taxiways of the old airfield remain

DOCKING

RAF Docking was a RAF Station of the Second World War a few miles from Bircham Newton in Norfolk. It was a satellite airfield for the RAF Coastal Command station at RAF Bircham Newton and was mostly used for overflow from there. A grass airfield, with eight blister hangars and one A1 hangar, was laid out soon after the outbreak of war and the first squadron to operate from there was No. 235 Squadron RAF using Bristol Blenheims for convoy escort and anti-shipping operations in the North Sea. These were then replaced by the Lockheed Hudson. A meteorological observation unit No. 405 Flight of Bomber Command was set up as part of the effort to gain important weather information. When Coastal Command took over all the meteorological units this became No. 1401 (Met) Flight and received a greater variety of aircraft. As well as Blenheims it operated Spitfires, Gloster Gladiator biplanes and Hawker Hurricanes. These aircraft were all used to take measurements of temperature and humidity; from 40,000 ft downwards in precise areas. In August 1942 the Flight was made into a Squadron - No. 521 - with Hudsons Hampdens, Mosquitos and Venturas. The squadron's Mosquitos would operate deep into occupied Europe to take measurements over target areas; known as "PAMPA". In 1944 the squadron moved to the other satellite for Bircham Newton, RAF Langham.

DOWNHAM MARKET

​RAF Downham Market had three concrete runways, the main (east-west) runway being 1,900 metres long and 50 metres wide. A five-kilometres long perimeter track linked the runways and the 35 circular concrete hardstandings, where the aircraft were dispersed, with each other, and with the aerodrome's six T2 hangars. From April 1943 until March 1944, three of the latter were used for the storage of Horsa assault gliders.  In October 1943, the station was equipped with the FIDO (Fog Intensive Dispersal Operation) fog dispersal system which was eventually installed at 15 UK airfields. Downham Market was the second aerodrome to be equipped with this device. The aerodrome's FIDO site was located on the south side of Downham Road (A1122), a short distance west of Crimplesham. It comprised three or four round, upright fuel tanks, a pump house which accommodated six Sulzer pumps, and a valve control hut. Underground fuel lines ran from the site to the burners beside the main runway. The control valves were housed in covered pits, each pit controlling 80 yards of burner line. Very aptly, the old FIDO site is now occupied by a petrol station. One of RAF Downham's covered pits housing a control valve of the FIDO pipeline can still be seen near the south-eastern end of the main runway. It is to date not known if it also still contains the equipment. 

EAST WRETHAM

RAF East Wretham airfield was hurriedly brought into service during the early years of World War II as a satellite airfield with No. 311 (Czech) Squadron dispersed there from RAF Honington on 29 July 1940. A more permanent allocation followed in September. The squadron operated their bombers from the airfield until April 1942 when it transferred to Coastal Command. Later, RAF Bomber Command No. 115 Squadron RAF, operating Vickers Wellington Mk IIIs and later Avro Lancasters, occupied the airfield from November 1942.A plan to turn East Wretham into a "Class A" airfield was not carried through, the bomber unit moved to Little Snoring and the station turned over to the USAAF for fighter operations.The first American tenants at East Wretham were the 359th Fighter Group, being reassigned from Westover AAF Massachusetts. The group was under the command of the 67th Fighter Wing of the VIII Fighter Command. Aircraft of the 359th were identified by green around their cowlings and tails.

FELTWELL

Feltwell's  connection with aviation began more than thirty-five years ago, during World War 1, when No. 7 Training Depot Station was housed here. Thus Feltwell's original function was flying training as it is today. From March, 1937, however, when the present installations were built, until 1946, squadrons of Bomber Command were stationed here. At first there was only one squadron, equipped with Harrows, but by the outbreak of World War 2, an additional squadron had been formed, and each was now equipped with Wellingtons. When Methwold airfield had been completed, one squadron operated from there and the other from Feltwell, both under No. 3 Group of Bomber Command. During 1940, the original squadrons were moved, and one of the new squadrons formed at Feltwell was manned by New Zealand personnel. These squadrons were in turn replaced in 1942 by New Zealand and Australian squadrons equipped with Ventura aircraft. During the first eight months of the war, a desultory series of operations was made from Feltwell, and included sorties against enemy shipping and pamphlet dropping operations. One of the first sorties from Feltwell was in connection with the costly attack on the German Fleet in Schillig Roads and Wilhamshaven, from which only one Wellington of the despatched returned safely.

FOULSHAM

RAF Foulsham was declared operational on 26 June 1942 and the first units to arrive were Nos. 98 and 180 Squadrons, flying North American Mitchell bombers. They were joined by No. 320 Squadron, formed from Dutch naval personnel who had escaped the occupation of Holland in 1940. In September 1943, the station was transferred to 3 Group which used Short Stirling and Avro Lancaster bomber aircraft. The USAAF's (United States Army Air Forces) 357th Servicing Squadron moved in, carrying out modification work on Mosquito aircraft for the photo-reconnaissance role. Another squadron, No. 514, formed at Foulsham, flew Lancasters, and a squadron of the Royal Australian Air Force, the 462nd, was also based here. When the aerodrome was transferred to the then recently established 100 Group, an electronic warfare unit which had its headquarters at Bylaugh Hall in the Breckland district, its squadrons, including the recently arrived 192nd, were tasked with gathering intelligence by monitoring enemy transmissions and later with developing countermeasures.
Foulsham was one of only four airfields in Norfolk to have been fitted with FIDO (Fog Intensive Dispersal Operation) in 1944. Fog was a constant hazard to aircraft and a method was hence developed to disperse it. This required a network of pipes and petrol burners which were aligned with the runway. By burning petrol at the rate of 100,000 gallons (456,000 litres) per hour sufficient heat could be produced to lift the fog, thus enabling pilots to take off and, more importantly, to land safely. The FIDO fuel tanks were located near Low Farm on the north-western edge of the flying field. The tanks are reported to have held 480,000 gallons pumped in via an underground pipeline from Foulsham railway station. RAF Foulsham was closed to flying in the summer of 1946. Mosquito aircraft were stored here until the late 1940s and the USAF used part of it until 1955 but the airfield remained the property of the Ministry of Defence until the 1980s when it was finally sold off.

GT MASSINGHAM

​RAF Massingham started life in September 1940 as a satellite grass airfield to RAF West Raynham just a couple of miles away. Crews slept at West Raynham and cycled over every morning. It had 3 runways on the usual ‘A’ pattern, the longest of 2,000 yards and two others of 1,400 yards. Blenheim aircraft were based here in those early days, playing an important part in the Ruhr offensive. The Blenheim had a range of 300 miles and could easily reach Germany and coastal ports. In addition to Blenheims, Mosquitoes, Bostons, and for a short while B17’s Fortresses were all based at Massingham. In April 1944 RAF Massingham was upgraded with concrete runways. Accommodation was also added to house aircrew and up to 800 ground personnel. 69 Squadron was the final squadron of aircraft based here but this was disbanded in August 1945 and RAF Massingham was transferred to 12 Group Fighter Command. The Central Flying Establishment at West Raynham continued to use the airfield for a further 4 years. The site was sold in 1958, one of the first ex RAF airfields to be disposed of in this way, and although it is now farmed the runways are still used by light aircraft. Visiting aircraft are allowed with prior permission

GT YARMOUTH

Opened in 1913 the sea plane station was built to protect this part of the east coast from attacks by Zeppelins and for spotting German surface raiders, the first Zeppelin to be destroyed by a machine from Yarmouth was on 27th November 1916 this being the L21 which was set on fire and fell into the sea off Lowestoft. At one time the station had over 30 machines based there and played an important role in submarine detection and airship destruction. After the end of the war the station was allowed to  run down until the final equipment was removed in 1920 and the station closed

HARLING ROAD

The Royal Flying Corps came to Harling Road in 1916. The airfield covered 245 acres, and included hangers, lecture rooms, gunnery instruction areas, petrol and oil stores, photographic equipment, wireless, bombing, and picture target huts. It became the home of No. 51 Squadron at that time, to help to defend the east coast of England against pelin raiders. By 1917, the 51st had been split into 88th, 89th, and 94th Squadrons, who trained here before leaving for operations in France. In March 1918, No.10 Depot Training Station had also been formed here, and the following month the Royal Air Force was formed. Aircraft operating from the field included BE2s, FE2s, SE5s, Bristol Fighters, and Sopwith Camels. The Home Defence commitment at Harling Road ceased in 1919 when the last Squadron moved to North Weald. The airfield formally closed in 1920. In WWII, the Black American General Service Engineers and Quartermaster Troops occupied the field; they supplied all airfields in the region. They were the 364th General Engineer Service Regiment, 2nd Battalion, Companys D, E, and F, the 529th Quartermaster Service Battalion, Company C, and the 829th Engineer Aviation Battalion, Company C.  After WWII, the airfield continued as an engineering park until 1981. Although most of the buildings are now demolished, the site is still operational as an industrial site.One or two of the remaining buildings are in fact the original RFC hangers, and are under Grade 1 protection as listed buildings.

HETHEL

Royal Air Force Station Hethel or more simply RAF Hethel is a former Royal Air Force station (ICAO: EGSK) which was used by both the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) and the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the Second World War. The airfield is located 7 miles (11 km) south west of Norwich, Norfolk, England and is now owned by Lotus Cars.RAF Hethel was built during 1942 for use by the Americans and was transferred to the USAAF and given designation Station 114.  From 14 September 1943 through to 12 June 1945, RAF Hethel served as headquarters for the Lotus Group

HINGHAM Home Defence Station

It is sadly one of those sites that has long since gone, and its history is now so blurred that its true location is not accurately known. It is known however, that it housed only three squadrons in its very short life: 51 (HD), 100 and 102, but only 51 Sqn remained for any period of time, thus making it the sole unit to have flown actively from this airfield.

A grass site, it was believed to be located near to the village of Hingham in Norfolk, some 12 miles south-west of Norwich, however, some sources cite it as Scoulton (latterly Watton airfield) located a few miles to the west of here

HOLT BAYFIELD

Opened in November 1915 originally as Royal Naval Air Station Holt, the airfield was only open until 1920 although the site was used again during WWII as an anti-aircraft artillery camp. The hangars were against the wood on the far west and the barracks, with a well, by the pit to the north. The ‘ring ditch’ on RAF/OS air photographs formerly numbered NHER 11887 was a chalk circle marker for aircraft.

HORSHAM ST FAITHS .

Horsham St Faith is a former Royal Air Force station near Norwich, Norfolk, England which was operational from 1939 to 1963. It was then developed as Norwich International Airport. The airfield was first developed in 1939 and officially opened on 1 June 1940 as a bomber station. It had been built pre-war and had five C-type hangars, permanent brick and tiled buildings with central-heating and a high standard of domestic accommodation.The first aircraft there were Bristol Blenheims dispersed from No. 21 Squadron RAF at RAF Watton in 1939 but the first operational aircraft there were fighters: Supermarine Spitfires of No. 19 and No. 66 squadrons from RAF Duxford. Boulton Paul Defiants of A Flight No. 264 Squadron RAF began sorties on 12 May 1940.The first operational bomber units were No. 139 Squadron RAF and No. 114 Squadron RAF of No. 2 Group of RAF Bomber Command with the Blenheim IV. No. 114 then moved onto RAF Oulton which was a new satellite station for HorshamTwo of the early visitors to the new airfield were the Right Honourable Neville Chamberlain and General Sir Alan Brooke.In August 1941, an aircraft from No. 18 Squadron RAF flying from Horsham St Faith en route to attack a power station at Gosnay, dropped a box by parachute over the south-west corner of the airfield at St. Omer-Longeunesse, containing a pair of legs for Wing Commander Douglas Bader who had been shot down over France and had lost his artificial limbs in the process.In December 1941 No. 105 Squadron RAF arrived from RAF Swanton Morley to begin training on the new de Havilland Mosquito fast bomber and from June 1942, the squadron carried out photographic and bombing missions over Germany.The first USAAF tenants at the airfield was the 319th Bombardment Group (Medium), arriving from RAF Shipdham on 4 October 1942. Flying the Martin B-26 Marauder medium bomber, the group stayed until 11 November when the group reassigned to Twelfth Air Force as part of the North African Campaign at Saint-Leu Airfield, Algeria. The airfield then lay unused over the winter

PULHAM

RNAS Pulham (later RAF Pulham) was a Royal Navy Air Service (RNAS) airship station, near Pulham St Mary 18 mi (29 km) south of Norwich, UK. Though land was purchased by the Royal Navy in 1912 the site was not operational until 1915. From 1918 to 1958, the unit was a Royal Air Force establishment. Pulham was one of the main British airship stations, with more than 3,000 men on the base at the end of the First World War. Initially it was used for airships that operated patrols over the North Sea (such as the Coastal and SS types) until their areas were taken over by seaplanes. The R34 landed at RNAS Pulham to complete the first two-way flown crossing of the Atlantic in July 1919. After the loss of the R101 in 1930 and the end of British airships the station was moved on to a care and maintenance basis only.In its heyday Pulham had its own hydrogen plant, one small and two large airship sheds (one was later moved to Cardington base in 1930, the other was scrapped in 1948) and a permanent mooring mast. During World War II, Pulham Air Station was used as an aircraft salvage yard. The RAF used Pulham for storage and Maintenance Unit work until closure in 1958

LANGHAM

Royal Air Force Langham or more simply RAF Langham is a former Royal Air Force station, located 27.2 miles (43.8 km) North-West of Norwich, Norfolk, England, from 1940 to 1961. The airfield was the most northerly of the Norfolk wartime RAF airfields and its position, being just 3.3 miles (5.3 km) from the North sea at Blakeney. made it a desirable location to be used by Coastal Command which had come into prominence since the outbreak of the Second World War. Originally the base was built as a dispersal and satellite station to RAF Bircham Newtonduring the first few months of the war and it became operational in the summer of 1940  On the 2 October 1944 six Beaufighters of Coastal Command took off from Langham to carry out a night patrol along the Frisian Islands of the coast of the Netherlands. Their task was to randomly attack any enemy shipping encountered there. One of the aircraft (NT 909) was piloted by New Zealander Warrant Officer Douglas Mann. His navigator was English and he was Flight Sergeant Donald Kennedy. Close to the island of Borkum the plane went into an attack on a convoy, but in poor visibility the plane struck an unknown obstacle causing Mann to lose control. The Convoy’s flak ships opened fire on the stricken plane shooting it down and, after some difficulty, Mann and Kennedy took to their rescue dinghy. After several abortive rescue attempts the airmen were finally rescued by High Speed Launch 2679, stationed at Gorleston-on-Sea, on the 10 October after being in the sea for eight days. When the Skipper of the Launch, Flying Officer David Ross located them and pulled them aboard the men were both suffering from acute hypothermia and immersion foot. They were taken to Great Yarmouth naval Hospital were both men made a full recovery. Douglas Mann was eventually returned to 489 Squadron and awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.  The station was purchased by Bernard Matthews, who constructed turkey sheds on the runways. The turkey farm is now operated by another farmer, but the construction of the sheds has preserved large sections of the runways

LITTLE SNORING

The aerodrome at Little Snoring, intended as a satellite to Foulsham airfield, was built by Taylor Woodrow Ltd in 1942/43 to the standard design of a Class A heavy bomber airfield, with three concrete runways and 36 aircraft dispersal points. The main runway was 2,000 metres long. The minor road linking the villages of Thursford and Little Snoring was closed when construction began, as it crossed the flying field. It was however reinstated in the 1960s, following the eastern perimeter track. Completed in the summer of 1943 and initially assigned to No. 3 Group Bomber Command, the first squadrons to arrive were the 115th and the 1678 Heavy Conversion Flight, both from RAF East Wretham in the Breckland district of Norfolk which had recently been assigned to the USAAF's (United States Army Air Forces) Eighth Army Air Force, and since after the war forms part of STANTA, the British Army's Stanford Practical Training Area. After only a brief stay, the 1678th transferred to RAF Foulsham, in the Broadland district of Norfolk.No. 115 Squadron flew offensive operations against the German night fighters. By November 1943 however, the airfield had been transferred to 100 Group RAF (Bomber Support), Bomber Command, which also flew operations from Foulsham and Great Massingham, North Creake > and Swannington  as well as from West Raynham, Sculthorpe, Swanton Morley and OultonNumber 100 Group, based at Bylaugh Hall in the Breckland district of Norfolk, was responsible for a series of secret operations involving the development and testing of more than 32 different devices. The specially equipped aircraft of this group flew within the bomber stream, using electronic jamming devices to disrupt enemy radio communications and radar. These devices were referred to under exotic code-names such "Airborne Cigar", "Jostle", "Mandrel", "Airborne Grocer", "Carpet" and "Piperack". Other aircraft were fitted with so-called Homers which intercepted the German night fighters' radar and radio emissions and allowed the RAF fighters to home in onto the enemy aircraft, and shoot them down or at least disrupt their missions aimed against the allied bomber streams.No. 115 Squadron was later replaced by 169 Squadron, flying Mosquito aircraft, and by 515 Squadron, at first flying Beaufighters and later also equipped with Mosquitoes. No. 515 Squadron was the first RAF squadron to employ electronic countermeasures by jamming enemy radar installations. Their aircraft were fitted with a device called "Moonshine", the code-name for ARI TR1427 (Airborne Radio Installation Transmitter Receiver), a spoofing/jamming device developed at the Telecommunications Research Establishment (TRE) with the aim of defeating the German "Freya" radar system.The squadrons flew day and night intruder missions as well as escort duties, ie they escorted RAF bomber streams over enemy territory and protected them from German night fighters. During March and April 1944 they were briefly joined by a detachment of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF), flying P-51 Mustangs and P-38 Lightnings in long-range escort trials. In mid-April 1944, the aerodrome at Little Snoring was attacked by retaliating German intruders which had tailed the returning British bombers on their home run and managed to remain undetected, putting the airfield temporarily out of commission.In May 1944, 23 Squadron arrived from the Mediterranean, and together with the 515th they continued to fly day and night intruder raids, intercepting German fighters deep in Europe. The last missions were flown in early May, just before both squadrons were disbanded.From July to September 1945, No. 141 Squadron operated from the base until operational flying officially ceased in September 1945 and the airfield was put into care and maintenance. In the immediate post-war period aircraft, mainly Mosquitoes, were stored on the airfield, and in the 1950s it was used by an anti-aircraft co-operation unit under a civilian contract, flying Spitfires and Vampires

LUDHAM

The land which was to become the flying field of RAF Ludham once belonged to Fritton Farm. In the 1920s, the farm had been purchased by the government with the intention of splitting up the land and to make it available for soldiers returning from WW1. There were seven smallholdings, each with a wooden house, to the north, and four larger holdings to the south of what then was called Slipper's Loke (named after the then owner of Fritton Farm) and today is known as Fritton Road. With the construction of the airfield the seven smallholdings were cleared.Ludham aerodrome was built by Richard Costain Ltd in November 1941 as a satellite to RAF Coltishall, to be used as a forward base for Fighter Command; the first Spitfires of 152 Squadron landed in November of the same year. The main gate was in Malthouse Lane near the Watch office and the concreted road is still in place. The entrance at Fritton Road was used by petrol bowsers. The airfield was defended by four Bofors guns, one on each side and located about halfway along.During the following two years, Nos. 19, 91, 152, 167, 602, 603, 610 and 611 squadrons, all flying Spitfires, and No. 195 Squadron, flying Typhoons, were based there at different times, some only for a couple of months. Brian Lane, the author of the book "Spitfire!" was the supernumerary squadron leader of No. 162 Squadron at Ludham when his Spitfire was shot down over the North Sea on his first operational flight with the squadron. No. 610 Squadron - one of the most celebrated Auxiliary Squadrons - was involved in flying cover for Operation Jubilee, the Dieppe Raid. The flying ace JE "Johnnie" Johnson was based here, leading No 610 Squadron, for a couple of months in the summer of 1942. No. 195 Squadron flew offensive sweeps and armed reconnaissance missions across northern France and the No. 603 Squadron's operations included dive-bombing attacks on German V-weapons sites in Holland.

MARHAM

Air Force Marham, or more simply RAF Marham (IATA: KNF, ICAO: EGYM), is a Royal Air Force station and military airbase near the village of Marham in the English county of Norfolk, East Anglia.It is home to No. 138 Expeditionary Air Wing (138 EAW) and, as such, is one of the RAF's "Main Operating Bases" (MOB). No. 138 EAW primarily consists of three squadrons of Panavia Tornado GR4/GR4A multi-role fast-jet ground-attack aircraft.The station crest depicts a glaring blue bull, symbolic of a deterrent and awarded in 1957 with the arrival of nuclearcapability; the station motto is simply Deter. The crest also figures in the name of RAF Marham's local radio station - Blue Bull Radio 1278 AM.In 2008 RAF Marham was officially granted the Freedom of the City of Norwich and, as such, is allowed to march through the streets of Norwich with 'bayonets fixed'; this is usually carried out on occasions such as the annual Battle of Britainparade held on 12 September every year. RAF Marham 'took over' the Freedom of the City of Norwich after the former holder, RAF Coltishall was officially closed in 2006.Opened in August 1916 close to the former Royal Naval Air Station Narborough, later RAF Narborough, the Marham base was originally a military night landing ground on an 80-acre (320,000 m2) site within the boundary of the present day RAF Marham. In 1916, the aerodrome was handed over to the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). The aerodrome was closed in 1919 when the last units moved out.  In 1935 work started on a new airfield which became active on 1 April 1937, with a resident heavy bomber unit from within 3 Group, RAF Bomber Command. The first squadron, No 38, arrived in May 1937 with Fairey Hendon bombers. In June No. 115 Squadron RAF re-formed at Marham with the Handley Page Harrow. 38 Squadron received Wellington I bombers in December 1938, followed in 1939 by 115 Squadron. The Wellingtons moved out in 1941 and Mosquitos from No. 105 Squadron arrived. Marham became part of the Pathfinder force. They also tested and proved the Oboe precision bombing aid.During March 1944 RAF Marham closed for the construction of new concrete runways, perimeter track, and dispersal areas, marking the end of its wartime operations. The three new runways were of the familiar wartime triangular pattern, but Marham was one of only two sites built as a heavy bomber airfield (the other was nearby RAF Sculthorpe) with the runways 50% longer than a standard wartime layoutIn the postwar period the airfield was home to RAF units operating the Boeing B-29 Washington aircraft, and later the V bomber force and tankers: Vickers Valiant and Handley Page Victor. The station is also one of the few large enough for the operation of United States Air Force Boeing B-52, and a number of these aircraft visited on exercises in the 1970s and 1980s.During 1980-82 24 Hardened Aircraft Shelters were constructed to house future strike aircraft, which would eventually see the arrival of the Panavia Tornado in 1982. These shelters were equipped with the US Weapon Storage Security System (WS3), each able to store 4 WE.177 nuclear bombs.No. 138 Expeditionary Air Wing (138 EAW) was formed at RAF Marham on 1 April 2006; encompassing most of the non-formed unit personnel on the station. The EAW does not include the flying units at the station.The station is close to the Royal Estate of Sandringham  and Queen Elizabeth II is the Honorary Air Commodore of Marham] and has made a number of visits to the airfield, most recently in  February 2017

MATLASKE.

An already existing airfield located to the south of the village of Matlaske was approved for requisition by the Air Ministry in August 1939 and RAF Matlask became operational in October 1940, serving as a satellite station to RAF Coltishall The airfield had two grass runways of 1,450 metres (1,600 yards) and 1,190 metres (1,300 yards) length respectively. RAF Matlask formed part of No.12 Group RAF Fighter Command. The group was responsible for the aerial defence of the Midlands, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and North Wales, and after No.11 Group, was the second most important group of Fighter Command during WW2. The aerodrome's Technical site was situated in the fields to the south of the village, a short distance south-east of the village school at Matlaske Gap. The flying field adjoined in the south. Despite its close proximity to the airfield the village school was never closed. To the north of the village and the aerodrome is Barningham Park, a landscape park designed by Humphry Repton in the early 19th century surrounding Barningham Hall, where some of the RAF officers were billeted. One of the domestic sites, Site 6, adjoined the Hall in the west, south of the ruined St Mary's church.
Officers not billeted at Barningham Hall were accommodated at the millhouse in Itteringham, about three kilometres to the south of the aerodrome. The transport between the two villages was by bicycle. Some brave individuals are reported to have dived into the mill pond from the flat roof section between the two dormers. The swans in the mill pond were reportedly occasionally fed with bread soaked in whiskey and the drunken birds were seen swimming into the river bank. On 29 May 1942, Pilot Officer Jowitt's Westland Whirlwind no.P7118 of No. 137 Squadron caught fire over the village; the pilot baled out and landed outside the Officer's mess just in time for breakfast. The aircraft, which had flown a total of 111 hours, crashed in the watermeadows by the bridge near Bintry Farm (Bintree Farm on current O/S maps), a short distance to the south-west of the village.The aerodrome's Technical site was located a short distance to the south of Barningham Park and the village of Matlaske. The grass flying field, bordered by Wickmere Road in the east and by Itteringham Road in the west, adjoined it in the south. Most of the buildings on the Technical site would seem to have been Nissen huts. The guard house stood beside the road leading into the site, which turned off the rural lane linking Matlaske with the village of Itteringham further to the south

MATISHALL

The site of the airfield was on the field behind Tollgate Farm on the north side of the road just past the cross roads of Blind Lane and Church Lane (Welborne) on the road coming out of Mattishall heading to East Tuddenham. MATTISHALL AIRFIELD 1916-1919. The airfield known as Mattishall Airfield, was situated mostly in East Tuddenham, with a smaller part in Mattishall and a much smaller part in Welborne. In 1916, Mattishall was a large village with plenty of shops, public houses and a large church situated on the Tuddenham side ofthe village. The church with its tower was a good landmark for pilots attempting to find the nearby airfield.  The Home Defence Line The airfield was built after a decision by the War Office to build a line of airfields stretching from Hull to London, called the Home Defence Line, to combat the ever-increasing raids by German Zeppelins, which were flying over England with impunity and terrorising the civilian population. The massive Zeppelins, six times as long as Mattishall Church is high, had already been seen by villagers on starlit nights; and the noise from the airships' throbbing diesel engines was frequently heard. The reason why Mattishall was selected as part of the defence system, was because it was equidistant from Hull and London and in the centre of the line of defence. The site where the airfield was situated was a large 80-acre field behind Tollgate Farm, on the left-hand side of the road leading to Norwich and well-positioned for fighter aircraft to defend the centre area of Norfolk. The two other airfield sites in Norfolk were Marham and Great Yarmouth, the latter already a sea-plane base that had been built to provide protection for Britain's North Sea Fleet. This aerial defence system was built only twelve years after the first manned flight by American Orville Wright, on December 17th, 1903, at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.   The Construction of Mattishall Airfield - 1916At this time, my grandparents, aunts and uncles lived at Tollgate Farm and the first indication of an airfield being built was in early 1916, when lorries and personnel arrived one morning and started to erect tents within a few yards from the back door of the farmhouse. My grandmother asked what was going on and was told that an aerodrome was to be built in close proximity to the farm. Indignant, she insisted that they move further from the backdoor, which they did, selecting an area at the end of the farmhouse paddock. The 80-acre field, known as the Great Field, was short grass, having been previously used for sheep grazing. The shepherd was a Mr. Basey from East Tuddenham. The constructors used a Steam Roller (Number 4, driven by a Mr. Gambling) from Norwich Corporation, at Westwick Depot, to make a hard roadway onto the airfield and another roadway leading into the farm paddock. It was also used for general levelling work around the site

METHWOLD

At the end of the 1930’s as the possibility of war with Nazi Germany grew ever stronger the Air Ministry began to look for new sites to expand the number of airfields in East Anglia. Farm-­land around the village of Methwold was an obvious area on which to construct a satellite airfield for the use of R.A.F. Feltwell as a dispersal and landing ground.The Methwold site offered camouflage cover for aircraft from a number of woods and plantations  as well as room for grass runways and military buildingsWith the closure o f a minor road between Methwold and Feltwell, the demolition of farm buildings and the removal of the tower of the old windmill, it wasn’t long before Methwold was operational and became home for a while at least to a variety of bomber squadrons As war progressed there was increasing activity at the airfield, newbuildings were erected and there was an increase in personnel who remained on the station. Glebe House (opposite the Brandon Road entrance, now demolished) was requisitioned on the Feltwell Rd site (off the Lodge Road entrance) and in Glebe Wood which was festooned with Nissen huts.In the latter part of 1943 the airfield was upgraded to Class A standard.  Hangers and 3 concrete runways, of between 1500 – 2000 yards in length, were built to equip Methwold for the four engined heavy bombers then beginning to appear.  36 hard-standings were built, 35 of the loop type and a single pan.  The original asphalt pans were not retained.  Bomb stores were built south of the airfield.

NARBOROUGH

RAF Narborough was a military aerodrome in Norfolk operated in the First World War. It opened on 28 May 1915, originally as an Air Station for RNAS Great Yarmouth tasked with defending against  Zeppelin raids. The airfield covered a 908-acre (3.67 km2) site, including 30 acres (120,000 m2) of buildings - making it the largest First World War airfield in Britain. These buildings included seven large hangars, seven [clarification needed] sheds, five workshops, two coal yards, two Sergeant’s Messes, three Dopesheds and a Guardroom. The airfield was transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in 1916, with the arrival of No. 35 Squadron of 7 Wing from Snarehill, operating Vickers F.B.5, Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c and BE2e and Armstrong Whitworth FK3 aircraft. Initially the squadron trained as a Corps Reconnaissance unit, until moving to France on 25 January 1917 equipped with the Armstrong Whitworth FK8.  No. 59 Squadron was formed at Narborough on 1 August 1916, also as a Corps Reconnaissance unit, operating RE8s .This squadron moved to France on 13 February 1917.Several other units operated from this airfield, including No. 48 Reserve, No. 50 Reserve, No. 53 Reserve Squadrons and No. 1 Training Squadron, who operated the Sopwith Camel from Narborough between 1 October 1917 and 10 October 1917. No. 83 Squadron of 7 Wing arrived from Wyton in December 1917 for training in the night bomber role. On 1 January 1918, No. 121 Squadron was formed here with Airco DH9 light bombers. On 11 November 1918, aircraft from nearby RAF Marham bombed Narborough with flour bags to celebrate the Armistice. RAF Narborough retaliated against Marham, sending its planes to bomb them with bags of soot.No. 56, 60 and 64 Squadrons of 38 Wing arrived in February 1919, from the Western Front, but brought no aircraft. No. 64 Squadron disbanded on 31 December 1919, while No. 56 and 60 Squadrons left for RAF Bircham Newton, with the station closing down and being returned to agriculture. Almost nothing remains of this airfield today, with the last hangar being demolished in mid 1977, having been damaged by gales.Built as the largest, aircraft based, World War One aerodrome, Narborough was known under a range of different names. The most common, ‘The Great Government Aerodrome’ reflected not only its size but also its multi-national stature and its achievements in aviation history. Used by both the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) it would also have names that reflected both these fledgling services .Designed to counteract the threat of the German Zeppelin and Schütte-Lanz airships, Narborough was initially used by the RNAS as a satellite station to RNAS Great Yarmouth No crews were permanently stationed here, but ‘on-duty’ crews would fly in and await the call to arms should a raid take place over East Anglia

MOUSEHOLD HEATH

The area of Norwich between the Salhouse and Plumstead roads (outside of the outer ring road) was originally the CavalryTraining Ground and then became the Royal Flying Corps Mousehold Heath aerodrome where Boulton Paul, among other manufacturers, passed over the aircraft they made for service. It was sometimes known as Norwich aerodrome by the Royal Flying Corps before it became Royal Air Force Station Mousehold Heath in April 1918.After the First World War, Boulton and Paul continued to use the site. The Norwich & Norfolk Aero Club was formed at the airfield in 1927 which then became the first Norwich Airport in 1933. The airfield fell into disuse during the Second World War and has now mostly been redeveloped for housing. MOUSEHOLD HEATH: Civil/military aerodrome later civil aerodrome and later airport before reverting to military airfield status.Also known as MOUSEHOLD and MOUSEHOLD AERODROME plus being NORWICH AIRPORT)

NEATISHEAD

Remote Radio Head [RRH]Neatishead is a small remote RAF unit situated to the north east of Norwich, Norfolk . Once a large station acting as a Control and Reporting Centre[CRC]for the South of the United Kingdom, it has been reduced substantially and now maintains a RRH status.

The primary role of RRH Neatishead is the provision of Radar, ground to air communications and data links coverage as part of the United Kingdom Air Surveillance and Control System (UKASACS).

RRH Neatishead consists of a number of remote sites although operations are mainly centred at Neatishead Main Site and Trimingham.

RRH Trimingham, situated on the Norfolk coast, is home to the TPS-77 Radar. Maintained and supported by a team of Ground Engineers, the Radar provides extensive coverage of the East coast of the UK and helps contribute to the recognised air picture of the United Kingdom.

The Main site at Neatishead provides constant, secure and reliable ground to air communications and data links coverage for a wide area of the United Kingdom, enabling communication between the CRCs and aircraft operating in UK Airspace.

The Main site is also home to the support element of RRH Neatishead consisting of a team of Suppliers, MT personnel, Administration staff and Contractors, who all contribute to the running of the Unit.

NORTH CREAKE

Like many other airfields, RAF North Creake was geographically misnamed: the village of North Creake is situated about four kilometres further to the west and the runways were actually constructed on the sites of two deserted medieval villages known as Quarles and Egmere. Egmere's ruined church still stands in the fields on the southern edge of the airfield. Locals have hence always referred to it as the Egmere 'drome' (short for aerodrome).The construction of the concrete runways began in October 1942, with the main runway being 2,000 metres long. It was completed in November 1943, but plans were then made to extend the runways. This however never happened and the airfield was eventually re-opened again in April 1944. There were 36 loop-type (spectacle) aircraft dispersal points, two T2 and one B1 hangars. The dispersed campsites provided accommodation for 2,951 male and 411 female personnel. North Creake/Egmere was one of several airfields assigned to 100 Group RAF Bomber Command. This secret Group was tasked with developing what nowadays would be described as electronic warfare, undertaking the jamming of German radar installations during bombing raids flown by other groups. The success of Bomber Command's night operations depended to a great extent on the efforts of 100 Group

OULTON

The Oulton airfield opened in 1940, originally as a satellite field to Horsham St Faith (now Norwich International Airport). It hosted a variety of light bomber squadrons flying mainly Blenheims.By September 1942 the airfield had become a satellite to RAF Swanton Morley with the 88th squadron being based there. This unit participated in low-level daylight raids and was also engaged with dropping propaganda leaflets over Germany.The all-grass field was upgraded to be able to accept heavy bombers and after the runways had been lengthened and concreted, the airfield was transferred to the 100 Group and became a satellite to RAF Foulsham in September 1943. After completion of the work both RAF and USAAF specialist radio-countermeasures units arrived, one of their tasks being to investigate the radio-control equipment behind the V-2 rocket.The 100 Group was also tasked with countering the force of radar-equipped Luftwaffe night fighters and their Mosquito fighter aircraft also patrolled around the known Luftwaffe fighter airfields, ready to attack any landing night fighters they came across, whereas the Group's bomber squadrons used various specialist electronic jamming devices to disrupt enemy radio communications and radar. Much of the equipment they used was developed at the Telecommunications Research Establishment (TRE).After the war, the airfield was put under Care and Maintenance and used for storing Mosquito fighter aircraft and Horsa gliders until its closure in 1947. Ever since, there has been a persistent rumour according to which a number of Mosquito aircraft were buried in a huge pit in a field on or near the former airfield. The location of said pit, if it ever existed, has however never been found.A large portion of the runways was removed in 1979 and used as hardcore for the Aylsham bypass. The surviving sections of the runways and some of the dispersals are currently occupied by poultry houses or farm sheds. The two control towers of the airfield have long since been demolished as was the Canteen, situated near Green Farm, which for some time served as the village hall. Only an empty space beside the road remains. The land was returned to agriculture. A memorial, situated at the crossroads to the north of the village. A special display and a memorial plaque commemorating the RAF 100 Group, currently housed in the east wing of nearby Blickling Hall, where the Officers mess used to be and where the officers and NCOs were accommodated, commemorate the personnel based here and tell the airfield's history. 

SCULTHORPE

RAF Sculthorpe is a military training facility for the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence, situated about 3 mi (4.8 km) west of Fakenham in Norfolk, England. The airfield has been home to many visiting airmen and support crews of the RAF and United States Air Force. Whilst retaining the airfield in 1997 the Ministry of Defence sold the entire technical, domestic and administrative site including the married quarters site previously occupied by the USAF to The Welbeck Estate Group.  RAF Sculthorpe was built as the second satellite airfield of RAF West Raynham a few miles to the south, the first being RAF Great Massingham. Work was begun in the spring of 1942 and the airfield was laid out as one of only two RAF heavy bomber airfields (the other was the nearby RAF Marham) with the familiar wartime triangular three runway layout expanded by 50%, the main runway being 9,000 feet long compared to the standard 6,000 and the subsidiary runways being 6,000 feet compared to around 4,000. The work involved construction of the concrete runways, dispersals site, mess facilities and accommodation. Much of the work was completed by Irishlabour working for the construction company Bovis.  As work was drawing to a close in May 1943 the first squadrons started to arrive, the first being 342 (Lorraine) Squadron of the Free French Air Force within 2 Group from RAF West Raynham. This squadron operated two flights of the Douglas Boston aircraft along withsome Douglas Havoc aircraft for training, 342 Squadron stayed until 19 July 1943 when they moved to RAF Great Massingham.  On 20 July 1943 the Royal New Zealand Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force moved in with No. 487 Squadron RNZAF and No. 464 Squadron RAAF taking up residence with their Lockheed Ventura aircraft having moved from RAF Methwold before converting at Sculthorpe onto the De Havilland Mosquito. On 20 September 1943 21 Squadron moved in from RAF Oulton, also with Mosquitos to form the Sculthorpe Wing (No. 140 Wing RAF). The wing stayed at Sculthorpe completing more than 100 missions before departing for RAF Hunsdon on 31 December 1943. In January 1944 100 Group Royal Air Force No. 214 Squadron RAF moved in with Boeing Flying Fortress aircraft for use in electronic warfare support of Bomber Command to be joined by crews from the USAAF 96th Bomb Group from RAF Snetterton Heath, known at Sculthorpe and thereafter as the 803rd Bomb Squadron of the USAAF. In April 1944 the 803rd and 214 Squadron departed for RAF Oulton leaving Sculthorpe empty for its redevelopment as a Very Heavy Bomber Base with the work not being completed until the spring of 1946.

SEETHING

Seething airfield was built in 1942-43 by John Laing & Son Ltd., to the standard Class A requirement for heavy bombers, primarily for use by the USAF and opened on 1st December 1943. The airfield had a main runway 6,000 ft. long aligned SWNE and two secondary runways of 4,200 ft in length, together with a considerable number of hard standings. The airfield was closed for military use in 1945 but has remained in active civil use to this day.

SWANTON MORLEY

 Swanton Morley was a new station planned under the RAF expansion scheme but not completed to the same standard before the start of the Second World War. It was part of No. 2 Group in Bomber Command until December 1944 when it was given over to 100 Group - the RAF unit responsible for countering German defences against the British strategic bombing - as they needed another airfield close to their HQ at Bylaugh Hall. On 4 July 1942, American and British airmen took off from this station as part of the first combined bombing raid of World War II. No 226 Squadron had been tutoring the US 15 Bombardment Squadron. Both Winston Churchill and General Eisenhower were at RAF Swanton Morley for this mission, which saw six crews from 15th Bombardment Squadron fly a raid with six crews from the RAF, using Boston light bombers belonging to No. 226 Squadron RAF. The raid was made at low level against German airfields in the Netherlands During World War II the station was home to the Bomber Support Development Unit (BSDU) of No. 100 Group RAF. After World War II the station was home to No 1 Air Signaller's School and later to the Central Servicing Development Establishment (CSDE) and the Maintenance Analysis and Computing Establishment (MACE).From June 1953 to 1995 the station was also used by 611 Volunteer Gliding School, when the station was listed for closure under Options for Change  The station held popular airshows during the 1980s. The station closed in 1995 and was converted to an Army base now known as Robertson Barracks The station was equipped with a grass surface airfield with three main runways, a perimeter track with 31 loop hardstandings, four T-type hangars, four blister hangars and one J-type hangar. The station was also equipped with a Watch Office with Met. Section, utility buildings and barracks for a total staff of 1,968 males and 390 females

SWANNINGTON

RAF Swannington was built in 1942/1943 and became operational in April 1944 as part of the newly formed 100 Group, the headquarters of which was based at Bylaugh Hall > Swannington was the last wartime aerodrome to be opened in Norfolk and was always known locally as Haveringland aerodrome.The first units to be based at the station were No. 85 and No. 157 Squadrons, flying de Havilland DH 98 Mosquito fighter aircraft. The two squadrons were also temporarily detached to RAF West Malling (Kent) to counter the V1 Flying Bomb (the "Doodlebugs") threat. Nos. 229 and 451 Squadrons RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force), who escorted bomber aircraft during day-time missions against Nazi Germany, were also based at the aerodrome for some time, and briefly during the winter of 1944/45, three squadrons of Spitfires used the airfield for training and anti-V2-rocket launcher patrols in the Netherlands. In mid-August 1945, the aerodrome was passed over to RAF Maintenance Command and became the headquarters of No. 273 Maintenance Unit for RAF Little Snoring, RAF North Creake and RAF Oulton. All these stations had mothballed Mosquitoes and several hundred Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, and the role of the site between 1946 and 1947 was to service and carry out modifications to aircraft before they were flown out for an in-depth service and then sold off. The unit was disbanded in 1947 and the RAF left in the same year. Haveringland Hall, which had been requisitioned and served as the Officers' mess, was demolished in 1948. Plans to upgrade the base for the use of jet fighter squadrons were abandoned and in 1957 the airfield was sold off.

SEDGEFORD

RAF Sedgeford was used as an airfield in World War I, as a satellite airfield (officially called "Night Landing Grounds") of RAF Great Yarmouth.  During World War I, the airfield was used for home defence duties, and was initially attached to the Royal Navy. By 1916, the Royal Flying Corps, a precursor the current RAF, took over the facilities.  After the conclusion of the war, RAF Sedgeford was abandoned around 1919 to 1920.  RAF Sedgeford was reused during World War II, when it was classified as a 'Q-type' and 'K-type' bombing decoy.The buildings and hangars on site made it a dummy airfield, which prevented nearby, functional airfields from being bombed by enemy bombers. At night, the airfield was lighted up, and made to look like an active airfield in order to trick the enemy, again to prevent nearby airfields from being bombed.Official records recorded RAF Sedgeford to be in operation from June 1940 to August 1942.

WATTON

Royal Air Force Station Watton or more simply RAF Watton is a former Royal Air Force station located 9 mi (14 km) southwest of East Dereham, Norfolk, England.Opened in 1937 it was used by both the Royal Air Force (RAF) and United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) during the Second World War. During the war it was used primarily as a bomber airfield, being the home of RAF Bomber Command squadrons until being used by the United States Army Air Forces Eighth Air Force as a major overhaul depot for Consolidated B-24 Liberatorbombers and as a weather reconnaissance base.After the war, it was returned to RAF use until being turned over to the British Army in the early 1990s. It was closed then put up for sale.A large part of the site has been developed into the Blenheim Grange housing estate, which is actually officially part of Carbrooke. All of the roads are given names with links to air force history, such as Wellington Road and Canberra Road. History has not been forgotten on the estate and at the entrance there are two monuments, one is a propeller in memory of the British airmen and the other is a more traditional monument in memory of the Americans. The Runway is still mostly in place (apart from an area that has been taken up and a footpath to Griston has been built) at the top end of the estate and the area is set to become agricultural land. A large part of the estate is still to be developed and in many places you can still see signs with wording similar to "RAF property keep out

WEST RAYNHAM

RAF West Raynham is a classic expansion-era airfield. It was built in 1938/39 and is located near the town of Fakenham in the district of North Norfolk. In the years between WW1 and WW2, there was considerable opposition to many aspects of an independent air force based in part on arguments about the morals of air war such as the bombing of civilians, and also on concerns about the visual impact of many large airfields and associated buildings on the countryside. As a result of the latter concern, much of the construction during the expansion period was carried out in consultation with the Council for the Protection of Rural England and was of very high quality, adopting a neo-Georgian style. Expansion period airfields tended also to cluster all of their buildings into one area on the periphery of the airfield. At the start of WW2, this practice was changed because groups of buildings located in close proximity were vulnerable to bombing attacks. For this reason aerodromes constructed during the war dispersed their buildings, sometimes over quite some distance. The minor road linking Kipton Ash (only a farm remains at this location) with the village and (long since closed) railway station of East Rudham, further to the north, was closed to the public because it traversed the western side of the airfield from south to north. Packsfield Farm (the name is spelt Paxfield on modern maps) has survived on the airfield's north-western perimeter. About one kilometre to the south, Kipton Ash Farm, which was located only about 450 metres to the south of the SW/NE runway, is also still in place today. Part of the old public road is now a farm track that comes to an abrupt end on reaching the southern perimeter track.During 1940/41, 36 pan-type aircraft dispersals were constructed, and in the summer of 1943 the airfield was temporarily closed for the construction by Allot Ltd of two concrete runways which replaced the four old grass landing strips. The new main runway (designated 04-22) was 1,800 metres and the other (10–28) 1,300 metres long. At the same time the station's boundaries were extended to the west and further accommodation was constructed to house 2,456 airmen and 658 WAAFs (Women's Auxiliary Air Force).

Please reload

© 2017 Created with Wix.com